I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Friday, March 17, 2006

SADDLE UP AND RIDE WITH KINKY

Oh, man you are going to love this one.....in DAM NEWS this morning there was an article on ole Kinky and I laughed my ass off....here 'tis....


NOT YOUR USUAL BLARNEY.....but then, Kinky isn't your usual politician.
Kinky Friedman's response to being photographed violating the state's open container law....the Kinkster was drinking a beer while riding in a car as grand marshal of the Greenville Avenue St. Patrick's Day parade..showcases why so many find his entertainer-turned-politician personality appealing.
(Picture of Kinky taking a taste of Guiness. ) Kinky admitted violating the laws of man but appealed to a higher authority:"Guinness is the drink that kept the Irish from taking over the world. It would be unthinkable not to have a Guiness during a St. Patrick's Day parade. In fact, it would be spiritually wrong."
(The next day speaking in Fort Worth, the Kinkster tossed off an even better line:"I admit to drinking it, but I did not swallow."
No, we're not endorsing public drinking as long as your funny. Nor do we believe that being a quick draw with a one-liner is a qualification for the governorship.As we've said previously, if Kinky wants voters to put him on the ballot, he's got to lay out a thoughtful, comprehensive vision.
But only the bluest of the bluenoses would have maintained scowls in the face of Kinky's good-humored response to this "scandal."
Can you image how a typical politician would have handled it? He would have issued groveling apologies and immediately scheduled a photo op at a rehab clinic. The usual interest groups would have issued tut-tutty press releasess, and we'd be off to the dismal races.
All of us force politicians to be like this. We magnify missteps and peccadillos out of proportion. The media, talk radio, blogs, special interests and entire modern partisan machine attack flaws as a nuclear reactor does a lump of uranium:drawing astonishing amounts of heat out of the smallest bit of nothing.
This is not good for America. Kinky Friedman reminds us that to err is human and laughing at oneself can be a sign of grace...

I wish I knew who wrote this so I could give full credit to them...It was in editorial pages in DAM NEWS....

I had heard he had commited some great blunder but never knew what it was and then saw this in the paper...
Now you see why even if he doesn't make it to the governors mansion...I'm still for Kinky....


As Will Rogers said, "This would be a great time in the world for some man to come along that knew something."

13 comments:

Normy said...

Hehe... that's a good article. Kinky sounds like a neat guy. Hell, you never know, maybe that will make more people want to vote for him.

Unknown said...

"I admit to drinking it, but I did not swallow."
LOL I love it.

Linda said...

That's what we need, a down to earth person with his feet on the ground around the regular people who vote for him. The ones in power now, they only hobnob with the wealthy and lower themselves to us when election-time rolls around. Kinky, drink your Guiness! A man after my own heart *sniff*

Astronaut said...

He certainly sounds...different! He seems like a voteable charcter.

Linda said...

Hey Jacki go see my blog!!!!

Cassandra said...

LOL!!! That Greenville Ave parade is all about drinking, just hiding it. I've been before, it's a lot of fun. Didn't hurt that I was working right by where the parade went by, so I got to go out and see it on company time.
Hell, at least he wasn't Driving the car!!! And he didn't swallow! LOL

Blog ho said...

that's rich.

Unknown said...

Blog Mad dropped me off here!

Hi!

Tina said...

Happy St. Patty's Day! hmm I need to read on more about this Kinky stuff hehe ;)

apositivepessimist said...

well i'd certainly vote for the kinky one. classic.

Cassandra said...

Look at the pics Sooner put up!! Cool!
Hell, for all I know the person is calling from a call center in India. Screw 'em. Just posted about what the phone company said.

Nit Wit said...

What's the problem? If it had been one of the politicians he would have had a scotch on the rocks in the back of his limo hidden behind the tinted glass. It would be nice to vote fore someone more interested in getting into the spirit of the day rather than trying to look good to the PC Police. I didn't swallow. Now that is an answer. :)

Scottish Toodler said...

Ahh Guinness... Mother's milk... I am glad Kinky is still in the running. He looks mighty handsome too!!!