I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Friday, July 28, 2006

1976..AS DAVEY CROCKETT SAID:"YA'LL CAN GO TO HELL, CAUSE I'M GOING TO TEXAS

California is not for me..I missed long necked
Dr.Peppers.There were no bluebonnets.After
awhile the sea air starts to smell like dead fish, and I haven't seen an armadillo dead or alive...All I have to show for my stay in California is an eight-ball tattoo on my left tit and the knowledge that no matter where I go..Jack D. is still in my dreams..So I kicked the sand off my feet, stuck the kids in the ltd and struck off for Texas with a u-haul on our ass..We got as far as Ozona, Texas before Jack's curse(his ltd) blew it's engine...On Father's Day, I called my Daddy..."Happy Father's Day Daddy.....can you come and get us?"(he lived in San Antonio)"Where are you?"..."Ozona, Texas.(north west Texas)"long sigh.....
We're on our way...(with step mother number 2)and he rescued us once more.We stayed with Daddy and Ima(we called her Irma the wor
m)till they fixed the car and then we went on down the road to Austin...where it was happening... good music, hippies, Willie, long hairs, rednecks, The Armadillo World Headquarters, long neck Lone Star' and a place to live on Lake Austin, on the Steiner Ranch(the XS Ranch)..where we lived at the end of a 6 mile ranch road with cattle guards,rodeo stock, rodeo schools,clown schools,drunk cowboys and a curve we refered to as 'the hippy killer'....I met the fabulous Shady Lane, worked at the Lodges which was right on the lake and was once a nudest colony...and was right on hand when Willie, Waylon, Asleep at the Wheel, Leon Russell, Marcia Ball, Balcones Fault and a whole bunch more played at the Outlaw Concert on Steiner Ranch...The week-end before they had a huge rock and roll concert, and can't remember who all was there..the kids went to it and Mojo got to watch it on the shoulders of one of my girlfriends... I worked at the lodges serving water, food, beer, etc to the hippies who came for the concert..because of my super duper smart ass..I had made boss order 24 cases of rolling papers and equal amount of bic lighters..we sold completely out and everyone thought I was a genius...But I was not going to miss Waylon...I loved(still do) Waylon...have driven all over Texas to go to his concerts..It was fantastic...Because I had made friends with Willie's half brother Doyle, I had back stage pass and watched the entire show from right next to one of the speakers..which may explain why I am deaf now..'WHAT?'
So I am
liking the redneck lifestyle..I had never let my redneck out..I was a rock 'n' roller chick..not a honky tonk gal...but I learnt' fast... We lived in a octogon shapped apartment and our bathroom was shaped like a slice of pie and I had a crosseyed black cat named 'Ole Waylon'.and Lane and I would get in her jeep, get a few bottles of Boone's Farm, some jelly reds,and a jar of italian peppers and go driving on the ranch and scare off the deer..screaming"Run, Bambi, run."...Tommy Steiner would get so pissed at us..he was leasing deer blinds and making big bucks and we were scaring off all the deer, the hunters would take a pot shot at us every now and then....Once on one of our little trips out on the ranch we ended jeep nose down into this deep ditch...we were stapped in with our seat belts so we are just hanging almost upside down...it's really quite..and then Lane says:"my smile keeps sliding off my face."..I laughed so hard I almost fell out of jeep... so while I am learning the redneck life style from a Yankee..the world is going on ..business as usual...
The Supre
me Court rules tha death penalty is not inherently cruel or unusual punishment and is a constitutionally acceptable form of punishment....yeah, how's that working for us???
Our natio
n celebrates our bicentennial anniversay...
Israeli air borne commando's attack Uganda's Entebbe Airport
Air France plane. One Israeli and several Ugandan soldiers were killed in the raid.
Mysterious disease that eventually claimed 29 lives strikes Americ
an Legion convention in Philadelphia. Jimmy Carter is elected our president and Patty Hearst was found guilty of armed robery of San Francisco Bank.She was sentenced to 7 years but 22 months later President Carter pardoned her. She should never have been conviced or even charged with anything...Soweto riots in South Africa are the beginning of the end of apartheid...But we had the music...great music..I of course had discovered to the enjoyment of my Daddy...country music..but not pop country...outlaw country...The rest of you were probably listening to 'Show Me the Way'by Peter Framton, 'All By Myself' by Eric Carmen, 'Anarachy in the U. K.' by The Sex Pistols, 'Back in the USSR' by the Beatles along with 'Yesterday'...'Beautiful Noise' by Neil Diamond, 'Blinded by the Light'by Manfred Mann's Earth Band, 'Born to be with You'by Dion and a song that got lots of play then and later 'The Boys are Back In Town.by Thin Lizzy..'Candy Store Rock' by Led Zeppelin, and some big ole dancing songs'Dancing Queen and Fernando'by ABBA.Some great songs by TMG, 'Darktown Strutters Ball' and 'Devil Woman' by Cliff Richard.'Don't fear the Reaper'by Blue Oyster Cult, 'Don't Stop it now and You Sexy Think'by Hot Chocolate.A song I really liked'Dream Weaver'by Gary Wright and 'Fly Like an Eagle'by Steve Miller Band.'Fool to Cry and Hot Stuff' by the Rolling Stones.'Hasten Down the Wind'by Warren Zevon, 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, 'Hurt' by Manhattan 'I Love to Boogie'by T. Rex.'I Want You' by Marvin Gaye, 'Take it to the Limit and I'd Really Like to See You Tonight' by England Dan and John Ford Coley.
'Still the One'by Orleans,'Somebody to Love'by Queen...'I'm your Puppet' by Bobby Purity, and one of my favorite bands Dr. Hook had hits with 'A Little big of Me, and If Not You.'
'Last Child' by Aerosmith, 'Say You Love Me and Landslide by Fleetwood Mac.'Taking it to the
Stree' by Doobie Brothers,"Let 'em in 'by Paul and the Wings, 'Misty Blue' by Dorothy Moore,'Love so Right'by the Bee Gees, 'My First Night Without You and Super Mama by Bonnie Raitt,'Pinball Wizzard' by Elton John,'Rock me Gently' by Sherbert and closing out with Hall and Oates 'She's Gone and Sara Smile'....and we rocked and rolled our way through another year....I have made another best friend...I have 3 now..Roxie, Brian, and Shady Lane...I plan on making 3 more as that is all I need to cart my ass to the grave...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Willie...It sounds like things were getting a little better for you. At lest I hope so.

Cassandra said...

Glad you came around these parts!

JBlue said...

I did like Waylon Jennings, too. Did you see his son in Walk the Line?

That music is really starting to bring back memories now!

apositivepessimist said...

Bloody Hell even Ted Mulry Gang got over there...whoa.

I am nearly beside myself Sherbet as well...sheeww. Alan Sandow was a SPUUUNK!

Nit Wit said...

Gee, you came back to Texas during the year that I spent January at Lackland AFB. Well by the time you got back I was in Biloxi Mississippi learning computers and increasing my tolerance to booze.
I know what you mean about the sea air.
Sounds like an interesting time living on the ranch. Dream Weaver is one of my all time favorite songs.
Irma the Worm sounds like the nickname is worthy of a whole post by itself.

Unknown said...

I love these stories! You've lived such an interesting and exciting life, I still say you ought to write a book and get rich and famous. I could retire from this slave factory and be your personal assistant then........

Unknown said...

Where was I? I only remember about half of this and that was the year my youngest son, Wes, was born. (June) It was a messed up year for me. That is when I first suspicioned the ex was stepping out on me and I was right. Jerk. Anyway I loved Waylon Jennings.

Carina said...

1976....ahhh! I moved to Glasgow, Scotland and got into punk rock, art, lots of fun drugs, tending bar and teaching crazy people how to make clay pots in night classes. I spent 4 months travelling by myself in Egypt and had many adventures there too.
Glasgow was pretty wild & vibrant back then - still is.
First year I voted, Labour all the way. :)

john said...

I still remember 'All By Myself' by Eric Carmen . Gaddamit . It makes still makes me cry ... not the Celine Dion version.

The Peter Frampton song 'Show Me The Way' really showed me the way to adult life . Booze , girls and good time. If I can only bring back those times ..

Anonymous said...

I almost busted a gut laughing on the closing of this year.

"I have made another best friend...I have 3 now..Roxie, Brian, and Shady Lane...I plan on making 3 more as that is all I need to cart my ass to the grave..."

Another great post. :)

Cyberoutlaw said...

Ohhh man, LOL! I hope you're saving these to put in book form one day. These are really good!

Anonymous said...

Excellent piece of writing! Thanks for the trip down musical memory lane...

Anonymous said...

When I was young I lived in Richmond on the Brazos. Your tales bring back some sweet memories. I have a lot of tats too. :)

Unknown said...

We don't have a cab company here either. It is in Peoria and we have to call them. They come into our burb and pick us up or drop us off, but it costs more. It costs me a good $20 just to go across the bridge and a few blocks to the hospital.

Big Pissy said...

*sigh*....the music....

I'm from San Antonio.

Went to Austin, San Marcos and the Canyon Lake area all the time from 70-74....good times...

dom said...

I just had to download 'rock me gently' after reading this , haven't heard it in years !
I'd voulnteer to be a pall bearer to help haul your ass , but as long as you promise it won't be for a godzillion years :)

Anonymous said...

such the storyteller you are ;) Love B.O.C. music.

Hope your week is going well :)

Anonymous said...

*laughs* I'm a great Country Music fan. If you'd listed the Country hits of that year, I'd probably know all of them. I don't know hardly any of the songs you listed here. I know most of the 60s/early 70s stuff, but the late 70s on, I hardly know any of the rock music.