I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Friday, April 27, 2007

.......MUSICAL NEWS FOR THE DAY.......







I have good news, bad news and what the fuck news..
The good news is..Willie Nelson avoids jail time in St. Martinville, La. on marijuana charges.
Willie Nelson and his tour manager were spared jail time Tuesday after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor count of marijuana possesion. Mr. Nelson(doesn't that sound silly?) and tour manager David Anderson were fined $1,024 each and given 6 months probation.Three other people were issued citations last year after state troopers stopped Mr. Nelson's bus, but those cititions were dismissed..
Don't know about you..but I can sleep better knowing that the streets are safer cause they busted ole Willie on reefer charges...judas priest..
The bad news is Bobby 'Boris' Pickett writer and singer of the old song "Monster Mash" died at the age of 69. Mr. Pickett, dubbed "The Guy Lombardo of Holloween," died Wednesday at the West Los Angeles Veterans Hospital.Bobby "Boris" Pickett, whose dead0on Boris Karloff impression propelled the Halloween anthem to the top of the charts in 1962, making him one of pop music's most enduring one-hit wonders died of leukemia.
Monster Mash hit the Billboard chart three times:when it debuted in 1962, reaching #1 the week before Hollween:again in August 1970 and in May 1973. The resurrections were appropriate for a song where Mr. Pickett gravely intoned the forever-stuck-in-your-head chorus:"He did the monster mash.....It was a graveyard smash."..
The hit single ensured Mr. Pickett's place in the pantheon of pop music obscurities,said syndicated radio host Dr. Dememto, whose long-running program celebrates offbeat tunes.
Monster Mash was written in about a half-hour.The Recording, done in a couple of hours, featured then-unknown piano player LEON RUSSELL and a backing band christened The Crypt-Kickers. Four major labels rejected it before Gary Paxton, lead singer on the Hollywood Argles' novelty hit "Alley Oop," released "Monster Mash" on his own label.
The instant smash became a Christmas card for the pumpkin and ghoul set.In a 1996 interview with People magazine, Mr. Pickett said he never grew tired of it:"When I hear it, I hear a cash register ringing."..Maintaing a sense of humor about its singular success:"As he loved to say at oldies shows, 'And now I'm going to do a medley of my hit."
By By Bobby.........

and now for the What the fuck music news...

SO, WHY AREN'T THE MONKEES IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME?
Peter Tork says the Monkees merit consideration for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but one man opposes their induction.
"The only person...holding a grudge is Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone," says the former Monkee.The magazine editor "has never written a gracious word. He personally has the veto power to keep us out."
How does his group, whose Emmy-winning show aped the Beatles' film A Hard Day's Night, rank against other inductees? Neither the Animals,the Rascals, the Lovin'Spoonful, the Dells, Del Shannon, Frankie Lymon nor Black Sabbath have more top 20 singles than the Monkees' 10. Ratings aside, classics such as "Pleasant Valley Sunday" have aged better than the likes of Mr. Shannon, whose "Hat's Off to Larry" seem laughable as Hall justification.
Bands as disparate as teh Sex Pistols (Seteppin' Stone") Run-D.M.C. (Mary Mary) and The Church (Porpoise Song") have covered Monkees' songs. Even Radiohead"Go to Sleep: eerily channels Mickey Dolenz's vocals.
"I'm convinced that Mickey is one of the great singers of our time," Mr. Tork says. "He's always been something of a geniius.".
One fan is Michael Stipe, who reportedly vowed to bar R.E.M. from the Hall until the Monkees got in. Mr. Stipe declined to comment for this article, but in 1994 he did tell Roling Stone that "The Monkees...meant a lot more to me"than the Beatles.R.E.M. was finally inducted last month.
Mr. Wenner, who didn't reply to an interview request,allegedly denounces Mr. Tork,Mr. Dolenz, Davy Jones and Mike Nesmith for not playing their own instruments on the band's first albums.
In this American Idol era, when acts are manufactured like toasters, fewer critics crucify the Monkees for being a TV Show that spawned a band.
"I've not heard the slightest murmer about the Monkees being fake,"Mr. Tork65 says from his Connecticut home."Everybody's forgotten it, except Wenner. He's been vicious."
Backed by producer Don Kirshner's songwriting stable--Carol King, Gerry Goffin,Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka, Tommy Boyce adn Bobby Hart--the band unleashed four straight no.1 albums and three chart-toppers. They eventually penned their own catchy pop, albeit with less chart success.
"George Harrison used to say he wished his best songs were as good as the worst of Lennon-McCartney,"Mr. Tork says."So, we used to hope our best songs were as good as the worst of the Brill Building."
Mr. Tork's fame, however, is more about musicianship than songwriting. So said Jimi Hendrix, who called him the most talented Monkee. The guitarist opened several Monkees'gigs.Was his compliment accurate?
"I'm not sure it's quite true," says Mr. Tork, who plays guitar,banjo, piano adn bass."I'm far and away the best trained musician, but I'm in awe of all three (Monkees').Jimi meant that I was the most receptive to his kind of music."....Joseph Dionisio Newsday..

I don't think I had ever considered the fact that the Monkees' weren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I think they should be...and if ole Jann Wenner is the reason they aren't I think maybe a nice email/letter campaign to Rolling Stone might be in order..People who used their postion of power to keep people down piss me off..and I always thought Wenner was a Weiner anyhow..I am going to write a letter to Rolling Stone and tell Wenner to give the Monkees' a break..I would say I would cancel my subscription..but don't get Rolling Stones any more..I got the magazine one day and didn't know who the fuck any of the bands were and decided my time had come to cut the cord ....

As you can see I had to put the verification thingy back on...thought maybe my troll had forgotten about me..but had 4 disturbing comments on my posts, so I will have to continue to keep it till he finally does what I am sure he is capable of.."buying guns and going on a shooting spree..."..this guy is not worthy to mention his name..and I am not even angry about it...I just find him pathetic and sad and hope that someone sees that he gets the mental help he needs before he does harm to someone..He's a Virginia Tech episode in the making..thank the Goddess he's in India..let them deal with his crazyness..


12 comments:

Nit Wit said...

You included that Monkeys part just so you could do a wiener joke didn't you?

No package yet and I'm scared to look in the mailbox.

Nit Wit said...

The verification is not on for me.

Nit Wit said...

I must be special. Now do I have to ride on the short bus?

Anonymous said...

when the Monkees first came on we thought they were a joke, but they have managed to become a classic group through the years. I didn't know they weren't in the R&R H of F. That is a serious omission.

No verification here either.

yellowdoggranny said...

nitwit:it was a long way to go for a weiner joke, but thought it was worth it..I just turned the verification thingy on...hate it..but no choice..er...uh..um...ride on the short bus?....
Jan: yeah, when you think of some of the people that are in the R%R hall of fame, you wonder why the monkees aren't in..last train to clarksville should get them in if nothing else..
I remember watching their tv show..I loved it ..thought it was hysterical and they had some really great guests..
I may have to do a post on the
'hey hey, we're the monkees'...

yellowdoggranny said...

nitwit: by the way, I think you will like the package..really...
no really..thought it would be there by now...

Rowan Dawn said...

hi. the music stuff is a bit over my head, lol!

Sling said...

The Monkees TOTALLY belong in the hall of fame!..I fell in love with Melinda(sigh) over "Daydream Believer".

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Granny,
The stupid troll never forgets. I think the only thing saving me at this point is the IP blocker. If you want to click on the one on my page you can get one and I can copy all of his potential IP addresses for you. It's a pain in the ass because you have to enter them by hand but its worth it. I certainly don't need his negative energy putting a jinx on all the things I'm trying to accomplish.

As for the Monkees, I've seen them in concert twice and its a fun show! They actually CAN play their instruments. So there--nyah! Stupid critics usually have no other talent besides dissing other people anyway.

:P fuzzbox said...

I wonder whose bus has the most smoke fumes. Willie's or Snoop Doggs? Maybe they should have a contest.

:P fuzzbox said...

I wonder whose bus has the most smoke fumes. Willie's or Snoop Doggs? Maybe they should have a contest.

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Fuzzbox,
I'd rather be on Willie's bus even though I don't indulge in the ole Happy Weed myself anymore. There it would be having a great time with people who I bet would seem like old friends after the first five minutes. Snoop Dogg? Hell, even my fat, tired old ass would have to spend the whole evening driving away that man-whore or watching him try to get every other female in bed. Luckily for him there are groupies--that sucker is ug-leeee!