I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

.......IKE.......

This is our weather for the next few days...Doesn't look horrible but doesn't look good either..Depends on where it hits and what category ....Babs and I are coordinating our lists. Bread, flashlight, Jesus Candles, eggs, etc. Going to fill the bathtub up full of water, making a ton of ice, and if needed will get a couple of bags tomorrow. I have a bunch of fish and chicken in the freezer, so will take it out tomorrow and cook it all up in case we lose power..Which as you know, every time we have a storm either the phones go out(no computers..arghgh) or the electricity and no computers..or both..The wiring in West was last redone in the 70's...maybe..Wind will be coming in at us from the north east (as we are on the outer edge of the storm when it hits) and that is my front porch..Babs faces south so she'll be ok...I need to go get everything off my porch that is light weight and put it in my shed..
Anyhow..if you don't hear from me either blog wise or email wise after Sat. it's because the storm has shut us down. Fuckme till the tide goes out.

Tonight
Partly cloudy early in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. Light and variable winds.
Friday
Partly sunny. A chance of showers and thunderstorms... mainly in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. East winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.
»
ZIP Code Detail
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Breezy. Lows in the mid 70s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph after midnight. Wind gusts up to 40 mph are possible.
Saturday
Cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely. Very windy. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Highs in the mid 80s. North winds 30 to 40 mph with gusts to around 50 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.
»
ZIP Code Detail
Saturday Night
Showers and thunderstorms. Very windy. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Lows in the mid 70s. West winds 30 to 40 mph with gusts to around 50 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.
Sunday
Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Highs in the mid 80s.
»
ZIP Code Detail
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms mainly in the evening. Lows in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

16 comments:

texlahoma said...

Planning ahead is a smart thing to do. Tell Babs I said hi since she doesn't blog much any more.

Nit Wit said...

Your gonna get wet!
I hate power outages I do have a neat little thing that I plug into the lighter in my truck and can run a any thing you plug into a 120 outlet. My laptop works with it but I don't have a cell phone that I can use to connect it to the web.
Hope you don't get washed into the Sooner state.
Gonna be a rainy weekend up here which is what always happens here during the county fair.

Doralong said...

Be safe and stay dry!

yellowdoggranny said...

i've been leaving messages and talking to my aunt and cousins that live in houston and the surrounding area to come on down...one cousin is going to austin to stay with his daughter-in-law, and one is in penn. but the 2nd cousins might need a place. so hopefully all my family will be safe. I talked to my cousin bruce who lives in iowa city out side of houston and he said the eye of the storm is schedueled to pass right over their house..feck!...now im starting to get a little freaked out..not so much for me as we'll get some of it but for my aunt and cousins who are right in the midst of it..my aunt was on her way to work when i called her..she'll leave after work..ok...that's my update ....
the only good thing?...i was looking over to my right and there is only 129 days 15 hours and 22 minutes left for george w bush in office...

Rox said...

Oh Jackie, that's just like you to see the positive in a bad situation! (The GWB thing!)

Stay dry and I hope the storm passes with minimal damage or effect.

Robin said...

Jacke -vs- Ike...when forces of nature collide! My money is on the chic!

Got my girl out of Houston, finally...stubborn 19 year old! Hoping the rest of my family out there heads "inland"! We're still up in the dry flat Panhandle with room!

Anonymous said...

I don't like Ike! Stay safe.

PS: These old eyes cannot read a word of the blue on black.

Intense Guy said...

Stay safe and dry! You know FEMA will rescue you if you need it (about 10 months from now!)

billy pilgrim said...

i'll bet $5. on yellowdog.

vikings were built to withstand storms.

LostInColor said...

Good to hear you are prepared. I'll be staying tuned...

Raspootin said...

Make sure to cook up the fish & chicken. I think the only thing that smells worse might be a dead body.
After Katrina I was like ummm no f'nway way can I clean this thing (after vomitting twice) and immediately put the offending freezer out on the street.

It is really windy here, but it does not look like IKE has a lot of rain associated with it, so flooding in West will hopefully not be an issue

Be safe!

sageweb said...

Take care of yourselves. Crap losing power...no computer...I hope for the best and this does not happen.

yellowdoggranny said...

roxrocks;lifes too short not to laugh..so far it's not going to hit us till 1am sat. morning.eek!
robin:yeah, i'ts going to take more than ike and tina to kick my ass..I'll drive to new mexico ..do my rain dance and send it to them..
glad your girl is out..know you'll be much better now.
regality;i changed it back to yellow just for yu.
intenseguy:yeah, like we would depend on fema...this is west, texas...we take care of our own.
billy:yup..vikings kick ass...i need to find me a helmet with som horns..
lic:yup..my hatches are battened.
raspootin:i cooked all the fish and the chicken is roasting as i type this..house smells of garlic/rosemary...niiiice...
we're supposed to get tons of rain and winds up to 65miles per hour.
sage:west is such an old town...even dewy mornings will knock out the phones..so if you lose contact with me after sat...that's the deal..if not i'll post and let every one know..
my love to you all..

Anonymous said...

Take care JS!!! Will be thinking of you!

Nan said...

I'm sure you know this already, but if you pack your freezer as full as you can of ice and whatever, the frozen stuff will stay frozen longer -- so after you've cooked all that chicken and fish, freeze them again.

Ike is looking bad. I'm amazed there are people dumb enough to want to try to "ride it out." I don't think the seawall is going to help Galveston much if the storm stays on the track it's on now.

Regality said...

Just noticed the change. My old eyes thank you!