I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

TEXAS STATE FAIR..fried stuff

State Fair fried-food finalists: Fried margaritas, fried Frito pie


Fans of some deep-fried food at this year's State Fair of Texas must flash an ID to prove they're legally old enough to eat the alcohol-laced goodies.

Eight finalists for the Big Tex Choice Awards, including alcohol-laced fried goodies, were announced Wednesday. Vendors are seeking honors at the fair that proclaims itself the fried food capital of Texas for 24 days.

The finalists are:

Deep Fried S'mores Pop• Tart® - A chocolate, peanut butter, s'mores flavor Pop• Tart® is battered, deep fried and topped with chocolate syrup and whipped cream.

Deep Fried Frozen Margarita - Margarita ingredients are added to funnel cake batter, fried, dusted with a lemon/lime mixture and spritzed with south of the border flavor and served in a salt rimmed glass.

Fernie's Fried Club Salad – A spinach wrap, containing diced ham, chicken, shredded iceberg, carrot strips, cherry tomatoes, shredded sharp cheddar and smoked bacon, is deep fried, topped with deep-fried sour dough croutons on a stick and served on a bed of shredded romaine lettuce.

Fried Beer- Beer-filled pretzel pocket is deep fried.

Fried Chocolate - A white chocolate mini-candy bar and a cherry are stuffed into a brownie, dipped in chocolate cake batter, deep fried and topped with powdered sugar, cherry sauce and chocolate flavored whip cream.

Fried Lemonade - Lemon flavored pastry is first baked then fried and glazed with a mix of lemonade, powdered sugar and lemon zest.

Texas Fried Caviar - Black-eyed peas are fried and laced with special spices.

Texas Fried Frito Pie – Chili, sharp cheddar cheese and corn chips are battered and fried.

I know which ones you guys will be wanting to eat..all of them..ain't Texas grand.
I have an idea for one..deep fried rum balls.
I notice they don't have skunk eggs..We need to send some up for next year . Although I still think I have the best idea of making them the exact same way except smaller and calling them Skunk Balls...So far I'm the only one that thinks it's a good idea.
If I ate one of everything on that list? I'd be in a diabetic coma till 12-21-12 and the Mayans come and get me. fuckme I'll never walk the run way again.

11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Personally, I think your idea for Skunk Balls is great! They could be the next Prairie Oysters!

Intense Guy said...

Oh how I want a Deep Fried S'mores Pop• Tart... I'd join you in that diabetic coma - but I don't think I'd care. :)

Go Skunk Balls! (Print up some bumper stickers?)

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's my recent digestive issues but yuck!

Charlene said...

Texas State Fair sounds like a great state fair.

At the Kentucky State Fair the odd new food is a Krispy Kreme sugar donut hamburger; just a hamburger with 2 donuts as the bun. It's $8 and 1000 calories. All the local news weather heads have been out and eaten one on camera. Reggie said he wanted one but his girlfriend wouldn't walk to the other side of the fair to get one.

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

All that fried shit sounds efffin yummy.
I DO see a market for fried skunk balls about the size of a hush puppy.
Have a ball making them.
Pun intended. ;0)

Nit Wit said...

Fried booze. Just what the heart and liver crave.

Blueberry said...

Obviously there isn't a thing on earth that can't be fried.

yellowdoggranny said...

i thought they had topped themselves last year with fried butter...but fried beer sounds good..even to me who no longer drinks..
yeah, it's texas we fry everything including coffee..

TheWayfarer said...

Damn, talk about a heart attack in a sack!
LOL!

Ted McLaughlin said...

Damn my diabetes! I want to be one of the judges of this contest!

Nit Wit said...

Eating that stuff might just scare your diabetes away.