I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

MOLLY IVINS CAN'T SAY THAT...CAN SHE?


I was over at the Texas Observer reading the memorials to Molly ..she used to be asst. Editor there before she went to the New York Times..and still donated money to them and probably left them money in her will...if you get a chance you should read it..especially if you are a liberal in Texas...I know you're out there...... I can hear you whimpering...
Ok...to the reason of this post..In one of the memorials I don't remember by who....(whom?)they were telling about the time they followed Molly in giving a speech...weeks after she had been in the town... The people were still raising hell, and freaking out over what she had said...I think it was some pan handle city like Abilene, Texas or some hard shell, conservative city...anyhow..he couldn't get anyone to tell him what she had said...They acted like if they repeated it they would die of shame....
Every one was upset and in a snit, but no one would tell him what she said.Finally he got pissed and yelled at someone..'Just tell me what Molly Ivins said!'.....
This is what she said:"The three most over rated things in America are Mack Trucks, teenage pussy and the FBI."............


Damn...I miss her...

14 comments:

apositivepessimist said...

Heh.

JBlue said...

Funny.

Anonymous said...

Best list I can think of. hehe

Big Pissy said...

heh heh!

yellowdoggranny said...

apos, jblue,jan, big pissy;yup

Nit Wit said...

Hmmm.

Lauren said...

What a great line!!! I can just see the looks on peoples' faces. . .

Molly was a one of a kind!!

mckait said...

The lady could certainly turn a phrase.....

mckait said...

js...the next time you email the goddess...
would you ask her about my elaine?

please ;_-0

yellowdoggranny said...

nit wit: hmmmmm?....Hmmmm????? it bothers you about that teenage pussy line doesn't it...you know it's true...you already knew about the Mack trucks and the FBI..so it had to be the teenage pussy line..
sorry...
lauren: i will try to drop in a Mollyism every now and then....they are like little diamond bon mots..
Kath: I will send you an email from her...love....

david santos said...

Helo!
Very, very nice
Tank you

mckait said...

hi jac

I do not have your email.. and so can't send mine.. but here it is

I am mckait

@verizon.net. I would love to hear from the goddess.. and you.
hugs are necessary to survival..
Thanks for yours..

This has been a dreadful week..

Sling said...

"The three most over rated things in America are Mack Trucks, teenage pussy, and the FBI."..

Here is wisdom.. :)

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Right on, Molly!
That cheered me. I was feeling pretty crusty.