I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (no I'm not talking about forest gump)

this is one of my favorite post..back in ought 6....I am repeating it because, well..it' s one of my favorites...the next post I do will be my 1,000 post..hooo rah...!


In 1951 i was 8 years old...I had never seen anything at the movie theaters scarier than a Lassie movie, where the bad guy was fixing to push Lassie right off this really really high cliff and I got so scared that I yelled 'He's going to kill Lassie". and screamed at the top of my lungs...This was at Tinker Field in Oklahoma..They had to stop the film, turn the lights on and my Mother and Daddy spent 15 minutes calming me down and promising me that no one would hurt Lassie..I think Daddy offered to kick their ass if they even thought about hurting a hair on that dog's head...Sniffling and clutching my Daddy's hand they restarted the movie and to my relief..not one hair on Lassie's head was harmed..
So to say I was not prepared for THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD is an understatement..It was the first sci-fi fi
lm and I went to that same theater with my Mother and Daddy...I think my Daddy was thinking 'she is going to scream and scare the fuck out of everyone here again'...so he kept telling me..'Jackiesue, this movie is about a creature from outer space and it is going to be scary.I mean really scary...so if you don't want to see this movie that is going to be really scary, let me know now and I wil take you home..'and I assured him that I was not going to scream, I would be brave and behave myself....
The lights go d
own and the curtains open and the film starts....
It takes place in the artic..and it has the Air Force in it...I am already feeling bette
r about things..the Air Force will kick ass.. They blow up things..they find a body frozen in the ice..it's a creature from another world...oh fuckity fuck fuck fuck..oh my god, the ice melts and the creature gets loose...it starts killing and sucking the blood out of the dogsand some of the Air Force people..I'm scrunched so far down in my seat you can't see anything of me from behind...my knees are mashed to my chest and my head is pressed against the seat....oh my god...oh, man..it is huge....what kind of movie is this..if Lassie was there, he would kill that monster and rescue them cute dogs....Is it too late to have Daddy take me home?...what kind of sick person thinks up this stuff and makes it into a movie for little kiddies to see...?..bastids...
This is
way scarier than that damn Bambi movie..Walt Disney is a sick twisted sunsabitch..killing Bambi's mom like that..hunting should be outlawed...oh man, he killed someone else...
This is disgusting...oh my god..he ripped that guys arm off...OH SHIT! THE ARM MOVED..... I reach across the seat and grab Daddy's hand...I look at Daddy...he's grinning from ear to ear...he's not afraid...if he's not afraid...then I shouldn't be afraid..hey, it's only a movie...it's
not real...oh my....what does he mean when he says it's a carrot with a brain...? another damn reason not to eat them damn carrots...who wants a carrot with a brain..wonder if the carrots Bugs Bunny eats have brains, cause that is one smart ass rabbit...
Ok, they are going to kill the creature...wait..is it going to get to them before they kill it...oh shit..it's coming right at me....is he going to get killed or is he going to kill them...
"Daddy is the Air Force ever going to kill that bastid?"...Daddy looks at me and quietly says:"Jackiesue I am never taking you to the movies again".....

30 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL Your Dad must have been really funny.

I don't even remember the first movie I ever went to. I think it might have been The Ten Commandments. My parents always thought I was to young to go anywhere. If I didn't get to tag along with my older sisters, I didn't get to go until I was 12 or 13.

Nit Wit said...

I don't remember for sure but I think my first movie was Snow White I think.
I do know the first time I ever watched the NBC Saturday Night At The Movies it was The Day The Earth Stood Still.
Like I said,The Thing was James Arness' best role. That movie was produced by Howard Hawks. His first Science fiction movie.

Anonymous said...

now imagine a child's plight today with 3D and all !

BriteYellowGun said...

The original "Thing..." actually holds up pretty well considering how old it is but the best part about that movie and the countless others like it that followed were the women playing the roles of the "pretty assistant" or whatever. They were such melodramatic overactresses who were usually hired based on their ability to scream in a deafening tone while holding a clenched fist to their mouths. Hilarious!

Nancy said...

I think I live with that creature. :)

prying1 said...

I remember seeing "The Giant Claw" at age 10. A giant bird like creature from outerspace swoops down to kill and destroy. It appears to be indestructable! It was one 'scary movie'!!! - I had nightmares.

Watching it years later on video tape it was disheartening to see the monster was held up with strings and carried away a Lionel train not a real one.

And all those years I spent ducking everytime a shadow passed from overhead.

prying1 said...

Oops - I forgot to say great posting. Quite an enjoyable story.

apositivepessimist said...

my little sister used to bawl her eyes out at the end of every Lassie episode...she was convinced Lassie was dead just because the program had ended for the day. Not once did I run with her mis-belief and torture her further. The mental torture came later in her life...heh heh.

I think Bambi was my first ever picture I saw was at the old style cinema, had the balcony seating.

Cassandra said...

The om-pa-lomp-pas, or whatever those evil things are called, scared the crap outta me as a kid.
You're a trip, JS!

RevJim said...

I really love this latest series of your posts. More people should try this. I should try it, but I don't want to be accused of being a copy cat, because we seem to have had similar experiences.
BTW, I saw Kinky on Cavuto, Tuesday. He appeals to both disenfranchised Demopublicans, and disenfranchised Repulocrats, and may very well be your next governor.

Maritzia said...

*laughs* When we were kids, Lassie was on TV every Sunday evening, right befor Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and the Wonderful World of Disney. Well, being the poor Army folk that we were, and gas being so cheap, our usual Sunday entertainment was taking a drive. Well, one Sunday, we detoured a bit (read...we got lost) and were later than usual getting home. My sister was beside herself because she thought we'd miss Lassie. When we finally go home, my brother ran in and turned on the set, and the opening music was playing, but he told my sister "Sorry, Sissy, it's over, you missed it". She just sat down ont he floor with a thump and said "That bitch!" *laughs* I think she was about 4 at the time.

Unknown said...

Would you believe that my 6-year-old grandson is a Lassie fanatic? He know when it comes on (5 times a day on various cable channels) and he actually prefers the older black/white one. The very first ones weren't "Lassie" One of them was "Tim's Collie"

I'm a horror movie fan! The older and cornier the better. I've got a link to a movie site that shows a different vintage horror movie every week
Count Gore De Val

texlahoma said...

Tinker huh? What'd they do kick you out of Oklahoma for that? I enjoyed that post, not too shabby!

john said...

Watching old films like those spacemen
from outer space don't scare one no more. These are more laughable to the kids with their obvious special effects. Boris Karloff is as scary as Kevin Federline or is it the other way around ?

Lauren said...

When I read the title of this post, I thought it was going to be about Sooner. . . LOL!!

The first movie I remember seeing was Snow White. NitWit and I must be about the same age. I recall it was the only movie I ever saw in the little theater in our town. It closed in about 1960 and became a storage building for the school.

Oddly, the first "Saturday Night at the Movies (NBC) I saw was also The Day The Earth Stood Still. Scared the livin' crap outta me. We were staying at my cousin's house that night and I wanted to go home. . .

Another walk down memory lane. . . I'll have to call my cousin to see if she remembers that too. . .

Laterz!

Granny said...

I'll check back tomorrow. Falling asleep and words running together.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
» » »

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info law offices of perricone 26 white Cival lawyers kennebunk maine saunas gay en bilbao Bcbg jogging suits Craftmaid kitchen cabinets Bacterie cellulite custom designer car interior Landlord library medical malpractice lawyer rating http://www.offering-online-education.info/ciscoubr7111.html

Josh said...

Aww, that's cute and hilarious at the same time. :)

Come check out the new thing on my blog!

Nit Wit said...

Now I'll have to pull out that DVD in the morning when I get off work. I almost watched it the other day.

Allan said...

I was afraid of Dr.Smith on Lost in Space. He reminded me of my Funny Uncle.

yellowdoggranny said...

josh: i really had fun posting this one..I will be right over..
nitwit:I want to get a copy of this movie..so I can play it for the granddaughters...
allan;yup..he was scarry too..

Mouthy Girl said...

Holy Christ! That made me giggle. Honest.

Bastid. Good times.

When I take Buddha to the movies he'll bug out his eyes and sceam: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH when the lights dim and the music starts shaking the walls and seats! I wish I could video him when he does it.

Big Pissy said...

I love old movies like that!


They never show them on t.v. like they used to..... :(

yellowdoggranny said...

buddha_girl:I loved writing this post..and Iwould love to see Robert in the theater...
Big Pissy:they used to have saturday night scary movie shows on tv all the time and could see old movies like that..I miss that too...

Ol' Lady said...

we have a channel on the tv that plays all the old 'scary' movies all the time...we love to watch them...couch, popcorn, Ol Man and old 'scary' movie makes for a good night :)

apositivepessimist said...

ooh fuck aye...a thousand!

well that will be worth celebrating. I’ll be back with bells on for it!

arhaaha...cool I even commented back then, the first time around.

Cie Cheesemeister said...

I have always loved horror movies and horror comics. I learned to read by the time I was 4 years old and by the time I was six I was reading Poe--no joke. And those comics, the Crypt Keeper and the Vault Keeper and the Old Witch were the greatest! My mother wouldn't allow me to read them because they gave me nightmares but I always got ahold of them and did it anyway. I spent the night cowering under the covers, but I loved them so!
When my son was about four we were watching that cartoon about the dinosaur children, "The Land Before Time." When Petrie the Pterosaur was snapped up by a tyrannosaurus my son just cried and cried. I had to reassure him that Petrie was going to be ok. I hoped--I'd actually never seen the movie before. He was ok, luckily. How could you explain to your four year old child that film makers would be cruel enough to have a little baby pterosaur that was designed in such a way that children would fall in love with him actually be EATEN by a tyrannosaurus?

Rainwolf said...

I don't remember my first real movie. I do remember seeing this one on tv and it scared the bejeesus out of me too.

Anonymous said...

Both Bambi and Snow White scarred me for life. Walt Disney was truly a warped sonovabitch.