I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

.......DON'T TELL ANYONE....BUT I'M A WUSSY.......

I have yet to listen to and sing along with the National Anthem and not be in tears by the time they say 'play ball.' I start to choke up when I hit the line 'O say does that star spangled banner yet wave..o'er the land of the free(I'm using crying to hard to sing right about here.) and the home of the brave?' It's plum embarrassing...what the fuck?...This coming from a person who during the Vietnam war would turn my back on the flag when they played the national anthem...I was so sick of the war and what it was doing to our country that I reacted by hating everything about our country..Lucky for me, I outgrew that really fast...But I am still sick at what the Bush administration is doing to us...fuck what they are doing to Iraq...what they are doing to us...you, me...everyone...well, not everyone...if you are one of Forest Gump's bidness cronies..you're loving every minute of it..
So, I'm still sick of the war and the Bush administration's stupid decisions..but instead of making me hate my country..it makes me love it all the more...Because our country and it's people need all the love we can give because most everyone else hates us...and that makes me sad..
we used to be loved, admired and envied..not any more.
maybe that's why I cry during the anthem...because we aren't the land of the free any more...just the brave....

9 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

when i was a little girl i was a brooklyn dodger fan..i loved loved loved the dogers...and when i heard the anthem i thought the were saying the home of the braves..(milwaukie braves were a baseball team way back then)...and it pissed me off..so even to this day when i sing the anthem...i say 'and the home of the...dodgers.'.....play ball..

Anonymous said...

Oh, silly girl, didn't you hear? They changed over to a SURGE stratagy, it'll have those terrorist so confused, they won't know what to do! Bush sure does seem to know a lot about military stuff, he was in the Texas Air Nationl Guard. He was so good , he didn't even have to show up! He got even more experience flying loads of cocaine into Louisiana, Arkansas, Florida and probably Texas.

Anonymous said...

I feel that way about hearing the national anthem. And then what follows is always a baseball or football game which makes it really special.

BTW. I picked the Super Bowl contenders right here on Yellowdog Grannie. And I only missed one playoff pick. Some of my co-workers think I'm amazing. Others think I'm a witch.

yellowdoggranny said...

tex:he's still flying cocaine..up his nose...
jan:your so good...I am 143-116-6 for the season...

Anonymous said...

Don't be embarrassed JS..That's what patriots feel.I LOVE this country.
Americans aren't defined by the inexplicable acts of our leaders-of-the-moment,but by the ideals that everyday citizens keep alive in their hearts.

Anonymous said...

I like Americans.......but I couldn't eat a whole one.

;)

yellowdoggranny said...

sling:oh I'm not really embarrassed about it..just sad that our country has sunk so low...I love crying at the anthem..just that I have such a kick ass reputation, that I am afraid I will ruin it if word got out ....
beany: i bet you could eat one if it was brad pitt...ahahahah

Mouthy Girl said...

Aww hell, Jac! I cry whenever I hear it as well. The only thing that gets me is when idiots want to put their own "spin" on it and get to wailing, hissing, whatevering...and RUIN it. HATE THAT!

I will not comment on shit fer brains...but will let you know that I read about some 80-something man who got a visit by the Secret Service because he wrote some editorial about how someone else should have been hanged...other than Saddam. He never said Bush, but they service guys were all over the old coot! He chuckled and produced MANY editorials and reminded them that he'd had a visit from them years earlier. Ha! Love the old, spunky ones!

Cassandra said...

I thought the next line was "Drivers, start your engines."
What is this stuff about "play ball?"

Yep, it makes me sad too.