I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

WEST REST HAVEN and ice cream

Why do I always look like I'm standing before a firing squad?..sigh*
This is the x-daughter-in-law Kathy, mother of Jenny and Jamie. She is the activity director and the one responsible for me doing the once a month cooking show.



You can't tell but these are happy little old ladies.




Digging in and waiting..


The guy is the one that said 'No You Don't,' when I said I enjoyed it more than they did.




This is blurry because they were waving their spoons or giving thumbs up..


Well, it was a huge success. More than I thought it would be.
I thought about doing chicken wings with different kinds of dipping sauces..When I mentioned that they all groaned ...said they have chicken all the time, and it's rubbery, dry and not something they wanted to see any more of..Let me know loudly...no more chicken...So next time I'm making a big fruit salad...they don't get a lot of fresh fruit..they get canned peaches or pears, or fruit cocktail, but no fresh fruit. Today..they had Blue Bell Home made Vanilla ice cream, with bananas, strawberries, peaches, sprinkles, caramel, chocolate, pineapple, and strawberry sauce and redi whip. Along with coke, dr pepper and 7 up for floats. I think 3 people had floats, the rest had 'the works'...and on my Goddess, they were so happy and so glad to get it. I know one thing..if you had given me a million bucks it couldn't have made me any happier than I was to see the smiles on their faces and watch them eat it with so much enjoyment.
Yesterday when I was buying all the stuff I told Preston if he wasn't working to come and be my photographer, but he had to work and everyone was so busy helping that we didn't get a lot of picture taking done. I forgot to get the redi whip and when I stopped by Preston was working again, and said his grandma was in the Rest Haven and to tell her he said to get her butt up and get some ice cream. So I couldn't get her or her room mate to go so I brought them each a bowl and stayed in the room as they aren't supposed to eat in their rooms because of bugs and ants. So I sat with them until they were done..the room mate started to sing...I scream, you scream we all scream for ice cream. and we cracked laughing, then started talking about 'remember when you could get ice cream from the ice cream truck for a dime and how good home cranked ice cream was. Was a nice visit. Preston's granny said since she got her butt up and had ice cream to tell him to get off his butt and come visit her. So I am ...little putz.
So it was a great day..I had a blast making the old farts so happy. It really is a wonderful feeling to see so much happiness from just the smallest effort..If any of you have the time, go to your nearest nursing home and volunteer.. Be a reader, do like me..do a cooking class..or arts/craft..anything...Take large print books up to them...it takes so little to make them happy.
Enjoy your life...some day your life might be like these people and you'll want someone to come make you a ice cream sundae.


14 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Bless you for bringing some fun and joy into nursing home life! And your hair still looks great from the wedding!

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Now you can forget getting that T shirt that reads...I'm Not------ Czeck.........
You're in like Flynn Jackie :0)
I say forget the cooking class as none of them are going to be around a kitchen most likely.
Have a once a month make your own sundae get together.
When you get there, maybe someone will pick up where you left off & delight you.
Makes for happy,happy all around.
In my younger years I was an activity director for handicapped children.
Some will always be in my heart of hearts.

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

P.S.
Thumbs Up Jackie!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your post made me teary eyed. You are awesomeness for volunteering at a nursing home. I volunteered at a nursing home when I was in high school and would come home crying depressed. My young heart couldn't just focus on the joy, I became overtaken by the sadness. I guess I still feel this way. I am so glad there are people like you who are strong and happy and make them happy. Thank you.

Jan said...

What a great thing you have done. I always think of volunteering to help young people, but I know this would be most rewarding.

billy pilgrim said...

i bought some breyer's french vanilla this week, heaven on earth.

Charlene said...

Blue Bell ice cream is on sale at my grocery this week. I'm going to buy some!

Angels come in all kinds of t-shirts and hair, ya know. :o)

yellowdoggranny said...

debra:i really enjoy it so it's no biggy for me..and im surprised my hair is still looking good..time for a touch up though.
shitunot:maybe the tshirt should say im not czech, but i have ice cream..ha yeah, when i end up there i expect someone to bring me ice cream...allllll the time..ha
and thanks..
innaaastar:i find it easier to be happy and to make people happy then to be sad and bring eveyone down with me..so it's a no brainer to me..
jan:you'd really enjoy yourself..them old farts are really funny.
one old guy told me a joke about a chicken with 4 legs chasing a car down the high way..followed it home and the farmer said they were bred for those people that liked extra drumsticks.the guy said how do they taste? and the farmer said I dont know we can't catch them.
billy:blue bell is sooooo much better than breyers ...
charlene:butter crunch is good(butterfinger candy bar crunched up in vanilla) and happy tracks are great...and rocky road rocks..ha

Intense Guy said...

You are looking good in that blonde hair!!

And durn, you must of made them ol' folks day, week, and/or month!

Next time ya go - you gotta take one of them old scrawny rubber joke/gag chickens..

Nit Wit said...

Hmmm. Lets see, I have my own cane, walker, wheelchair and even my own hospital bed. I could put a sign out front saying Nitwit's Old Farts Home and maybe some kind soul would start delivering Ice cream and all the fixings to me. I've been a little lonely since the insurance company stopped paying for my cute nurses to come visit me and change my dressings. I can't understand why they weren't paying me.
you now have good Karma falling out your ass.

Anonymous said...

What a great act if kindness! I love BlueBell

Rox said...

Bless your pointed little head, Jackiesue! LOL!

texlahoma said...

When I get a little older, I'm movin down there.
BTW, you look more like a deer or considering what this post is about, a dear caught in headlights than someone standing before a firing squad.

yellowdoggranny said...

intenseguy;if i can find a rubber chicken i am taking it for sure..ha
nitty:i like having good karma coming out my ass.
rox:aw, shucks mamm, it was nothing.
tex:i was sweating bullets. was 98 outside and had to make 3 trips to bring all the stuff in and by the last trip i was a puddle..